hairstyle.com
Search

How to get a retro bouffant hairstyle

/ 01.29.2014
Try a retro bouffant
Try a retro bouffant

Old school, retro styles are a huge hair trend right now, both literally and figuratively speaking, and recently, we've been spotting vintage looks all over the runway as Fashion Week season continues. This simple bouffant style, otherwise known as a beehive, is a great example and one that is really easy to recreate.

Having long been a symbol of elegance, the beehive is a style that became popular in the 60s before reclaiming its place in popular hair culture in recent years, thanks to some impressive efforts from the likes of Lana Del Rey. With the right styling techniques, a beehive can add instant class and sophistication to any look, making it a great style for formal occasions. It can also be teamed with casual attire for a more relaxed, modern feel.

Read on to find out just how to get the look!

What you need:

Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT Volume Inject Mousse
Blowdryer
Comb
Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT Lift Creation Spray
Bobby pins
Hair elastic
Advanced Hairstyle LOCK IT Bold Control Hairspray

Step one

Apply a generous amount of Volume Inject Mousse to damp hair and blow-dry.

Top tip: Once hair is 80% dry, flip your head over and blow-dry the other 20%. Doing it upside down will help to add extra lift and volume.

Step two

Use a comb to define a side part and then use a brush to sweep the front sections - including bangs if you have them - forward. Leave them loose while you work on the rest of your hair. You can clip them just above your hairline if that's easier.

Step three

Apply Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT Lift Creation Spray to the roots on the top and crown of your head. With a comb, tease the hair to build up volume. Add more spray as you go to hold the teased hair in place and to add more volume.

Step four

Gently smooth over the teased area by combing a small amount of the hair left loose at the front back over the rest. Then, secure the bouffant into place with bobby pins at the back - about 2/3 of the way down. Then, let down rest of the hair at the front.

Step five

Gather hair gently into a low ponytail and secure with a hair elastic. Take a strand of hair from the pony and wrap it around the elastic for an ultra-chic finish. Alternatively, twist the pony into a bun and secure with bobby pins.

Step six

Finally, mist generously with Advanced Hairstyle LOCK IT Bold Control Hairspray to keep your new bouffant style in place all day (or night) long!

If you want to add yet more retro appeal to this look, accessorize with a wide, monotone headband.

Happy styling!

Products needed

Produkt Online Kaufen

    Special issues

    > See all special issues
    / Special Issue
    Prom hairstyles: inspiration, tutorials and styling tips

    Prom season is a busy time with lots of decisions to make, especially when it comes to choosing the perfect prom hairstyle! To make sure you end up with a look you'll love, we have plenty of inspiring ideas and prom hairstyle...

    Follow us

    Most read articles

    HairStyle Wall
    All hairstyles
    • All hairstyles
    • Men's hairstyles
    • Women's hairstyles
    • Ponytail
    • Updos
    • Braid
    • Layered
    • Bob cut
    • Bangs
    • Wet look
    All hair lengths
    • All hair lengths
    • Short
    • Mid length
    • Long
    All hair colors
    • All hair colors
    • Dark
    • Black
    • Brown
    • Red
    • Blond
    All hair types
    • All hair types
    • Curly
    • Wavy
    • Straight