If you think that a hectic week stresses you out, think about your hair! Truth is, your lovely locks go through a lot of misery over the week and by the weekend look absolutely dull, parched and listless. Apart from the quick (and rather unmindful) hairstyling hacks that you put your tresses through, there's always stress, pollution and (ahem, ahem!) bad eating habits that wreak havoc on your mane.
Here are five healthy habits to adopt if you want beautiful, healthy and shiny hair that bounces from root to tip:
1. Shampoo ... sparingly: Yes, we understand that you want a scrupulously clean scalp. But did you know that shampooing all too often robs your scalp of moisture and super-essential natural oils that lend health, shine and strength to your hair? If you're someone who shampoos every day and still wonders why your hair looks dull, now you know why! So, do your mane a favor – shampoo every 2-3 days.
2. Deep condition at least once a week: If you aren't deep conditioning your hair, you are robbing it of moisture. Dehydrated hair looks lifeless and develops stubborn tangles, knots and frizz quite quickly. Deep conditioning your hair every week is highly recommended by hairstylists as well as dermatologists. So go ahead, buy a good hair conditioner that suits your hair type and give your tresses all the hydration they need to look soft, supple and smooth all week long!
3. Prep your hair before heat styling: A lot of women we know blow dry or iron their hair on a regular basis. What they don't do is prepare their hair before extreme heat styling. Using a protective heat spray before blow drying or flat ironing your hair makes your strands resistant to heat damage. A few spritz before heat styling can prevent dryness, brittleness and split ends in the long run!
4. Oil your tresses regularly: If you aren't oiling your hair regularly, you are depriving your tresses of a whole bunch of good stuff – vitamins, minerals, keratin, etc. Hair oils can solve a number of hair-related problems – right from dry, damaged and dull hair to brittle strands and split ends! They make your hair soft and shiny, detangle knots, provide nourishment to your scalp and promote hair growth.
5. Brush your hair gently: Even if you are in a hurry, avoid brushing your hair with a vengeance! Ruthless brushing not only makes your hair strands break but is also the number one cause of hair damage and fall. Choose a good hair brush that matches your hair texture and volume and brush gently, at least once a day, to improve blood circulation in your scalp. Not only will you detangle all those obstinate knots, but will also end up feeling super relaxed.
Here's hoping that you'll find these hair tips handy.
Have a heart; think about your hair... after all it is your crowning glory!